Thanks to the yummy recipe I found on this blog I decided to make enchiladas for my very first time. Of course, we all know how, ehhem, fattening they are. I had to tweak it to keep it healthy. (Probably one of my favorite dishes yet!)
- Whole wheat (low carb high fiber) tortillas I found some that are 50 calories each
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz of fat-free Mexican blend cheese (found it at Wal-Mart)
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 3 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs white flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz can cream of chicken condensed soup (check the calories, get the lowest one you can find)
- 1 cup of fat-free or light sour cream
- 4 oz chopped green chilies
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Step one: Cook the chicken in a skillet. Pull apart so you have shredded chicken.
Step two: The Sauce- over medium to low heat melt the butter in a sauce pan. Once melted, add the flour and whisk immediately. After that is blended, mix in the chicken broth, cream of chicken, sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper. Mix over low heat until blended and creamy.
Step three: Assembly. (Get a casserole dish and spray with non stick cooking spray and set aside)
Add 1/4 c of the shredded chicken, 1 Tbs of the corn and a pinch of the cheese blend.
Roll up and place in the casserole dish seam side down. Repeat for each enchilada. I made 6.
Step Four: pour the sauce over the enchilada wraps and use the remainder of the cheese sprinkled on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with salsa or some additional light sour cream. So simple!
Calories (per enchilada)
- 370 (give or take a few)